My life has been quite boring the last two weeks since I've been down and out with a cold and a bad case of the coughs. It has gotten progressively worse and my dad thinks I may have bronchitis or sinusitis. I guess the many apples I've consumed these last three months count for nothing. So much for, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." This inevitably means that as much as I really don't want to, it's time to give the Spanish doctors a visit. I can just imagine the scene:
Linnell sitting on the doctor's examining table, already incredibly uncomfortable because she is wearing a far too revealing patient's robe. Half naked and sick, convulsing with coughs every few seconds, she cannot seem to make out the doctor's orders. The doctor gives requests in a mix of Spanish and the little English he knows while also incorporating elaborate gestures to say something as simple as "roll onto your right side" or "take a very deep breath". After this awkward and uncomfortable session comes to an end, Linnell accepts the prescription, not knowing what is is, and nearly runs out of the clinic, hoping to never need to set eyes on that room ever again.
At least, that's what plays through my head when I imagine a trip to the doctor here with my level of Spanish. Of course, I'll do my research and translate and jot down pertinent medical words. I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm imagining. I can only hope.
-------------------
On another note, something curious that I learned last night regards a tradition that is quite unique to the States, at least in comparison to Europe. In the US, it is considered patriotic and a positive gesture to display the national flag outside of one's home (maybe cheezy to some, but it is definitely not considered a negative thing). Here in Spain, however, it is considered odd and almost rude to hang the Spanish flag in or around a personal residence. To do so automatically associates oneself with the right-wing, conservative, "anti-rights" politics. This might be connected in some way to the reign of the horrible dictator, Franco. However, my host father informed me that this sentiment was probably around before Franco and is found in many other European countries as well (however, I realize this could be a horrible over generalization... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
Another cultural difference that shocked me can be found at the beginning of sports games. What respectful and patriotic tradition do we host in the US that begins nearly every sports event, whether big league or high school? The national anthem, no? Here, that would be an incredibly odd way to begin a sports game... and this is not just because the Spanish are ashamed of their national anthem, which has a sad lack of words. I don't know why this is, but I do know that Spaniards wouldn't ever think to perform their national anthem before any sports game. It just isn't normal or tradition here.
Some individuals view the United State's patriotism as narcissistic and egotistical, which is quite the misunderstanding, but in actuality might have some truth behind it. I can see where they are coming from. In many ways, a large number of US citizens are quite sheltered, culturally illiterate, and incredibly uninformed or apathetic in regards to international news, issues, and politics. I don't think many people in the US realize how much of an impact our country has on the world and how closely other countries follow the news, politics, and culture in the US. Since I've arrived here, there have only been a couple times that I've opened the newspaper and haven't found an article about the United States. Nearly every store I enter here blasts pop music from the states (even the dreaded song, "I kissed a girl and I liked it..."). Whatever happened to traditional Catalan and Spanish music? One would be hard pressed to find a bar that plays such music here. Also, it is popular to wear shirts with writing in English and US slang (and some make no sense, which is quite fun to see), most of the movies in the theaters are from Hollywood (though, most of them are dubbed in Spanish), and everyone seems to be so informed on US politics and news.
My host father, who lived in California for a year and New York for a year, explained it to me in a very rational way. The US is the world's first superpower and is so immense that it hosts terrain, climates, and cultures of all types within its own borders. We have nearly anything that we could possibly want within the states that it is natural to not search outside of our borders for much else, right? If you want tropical, go to Hawaii or Florida. Do you want to experience an arctic-like climate? Live in Alaska for a winter. Want the most depressing 9 months of your life? Go to Seattle for autumn/winter/spring. ;)
Though we are very blessed to live in such a diverse country, I think we can easily fall into a very unhealthy attitude and mindset. Such a mindset would allow one to believe that the USA is superior to other countries and that foreign affairs, politics, and news have much less or no importance in comparison to the US. "God bless the USA! We are SO blessed to live here. Thank goodness I wasn't born into any other country!" These kinds of statements make me ashamed to call those people my fellow US citizens. Though there are many countries I would not have wanted to be born into (where war, violence, sexism, and racism tear apart the country), I think I would have been perfectly fine being raised in many other countries. Many people wouldn't declare aloud that they have such a haughty and egotistical mindset, however, their actions, thoughts, and lack of international knowledge would suggest otherwise.
Before coming to Spain, my thoughts hardly ever wandered to international issues. I would definitely consider myself to have been the type of uninformed and indifferent US citizen described above. I am still quite uniformed, but my short time in Spain has sparked in me an interest in and sensitivity to other cultures and lifestyles. I've been humbled in many ways since I've been here... which is good thing. I definitely have the desire to experience more. Asia, South America, Africa (don't freak out, Mom and Dad, hehe)... I don't know where my life will lead me, but I definitely hope it includes many other international adventures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Linnell-
i love it! it is nice to see that you are gaining a bigger perspective of the world! this might go against what you were saying but i also think it is great to be american because we have lots of opportunities to travel places in order to have these very thoughts you are having about being sheltered and arrogant (because i don't think that is necessarily just an american thing). this might seem backwards to you but i think you might come back more patriotic than when you left, although you will still think nearly all americans are oblivious to the world around them and you would probably be correct in saying that.
anyway i love hearing from you (as you can tell in my response time to your post haha). i hope you get better soon and i am sure a doctor would be able to communicate with you just fine, so don't worry about it...worst case scenario is you get a great story to blog about! make sure you watch the inauguration ceremony, i am sure it will be on tv over there...i would love to hear about that in your next post! also have you given a tip yet to the sweet accordion player(s) on the train on my behalf?
if you aren't able to do it that is fine, there is a small chance i might backpack europe with my brothers this summer...
Oh dear, hope you're feeling better soon!
And Seattle is not depressing. :-p Good thoughts, otherwise. peace
Wow, Matt, definitely quick response time. :) Thanks for the feedback... definitely agree with you there. I'm definitely hoping to watch the inauguration ceremony. Like during election time, people here are asking me about the inaguration and if I'm going to watch it and how I feel about Obama. It's quite funny. The newspaper yesterday had easily 15 pages dedicated to Obama and the inauguration. They were comparing him to Roosevelt and the New Deal. I am ashamed to say that I haven't given a good tip to the accordion players on the train for you just yet... I'll do it soon though. I definitely want to hear about this possibility of backpacking with your brothers! :)
Thank you for the comments, James. And, you're right, Seattle isn't that depressing... but it can be when you don't see the sun for a month. I get sun nearly every day here! It's so refreshing!
Lastly, my friend, Tyler, had some good insight that he sent to me in a message because the whole thing was too long to post here. I just wanted to post a little blurb from him:
"First, ignorance does not necessarily imply arrogance. I would say that it's far more arrogant to be informed and yet still remain unchanged than to be uninformed and have certain opinions. Both are dangerous, but I would argue that only one is arrogant.
Also, I personally feel blessed to be born in the US and I kind of agree with your friend Matt that living in other countries helps us realize that. I do think that people tend to say that out of ignorance though, so if that's what you meant i agree with you. But to say that everyone in the US is arrogant to be proud of being a US citizen is to make the same mistake that US citizens make when they assume that the US is superior to every other country, which is making uninformed generalizations."
A very good point, which a agree with fully. :) Thanks, Tyler.
Sista!
It is nice to hear your worldly views coming out! I definitely share your views on this topic. As you know, I would have loved to be born Canadian or a Kiwi! :) I am glad to see your views are expanding outside of an " U.S. egocentric" perspective. I tend to think of myself as just a part of a larger community that is the world than just the U.S. (How ironic U.S. = US..us us us hehe). It is nice to embrace a love of the entire world instead of a love of a specific country or mindset. Miss you and love you sis!!!! BTW did you watch the inauguration today? Obama gave a wonderful speech! -Val
Post a Comment